- 2 Slices Bacon, sliced into 1/8” slivers
- 2 Pounds Collards, Chard or Kale, preferably organic; washed several times
- 1 Cup Thinly Sliced Sweet Onion
- Olive Oil or Bacon Grease
- 2 TBsp. Santa Fe Ole’s SW-13 Ketchup
- 1 TBsp. Santa Fe Ole’s Red Chile Honey
- 3 TBsp. White or Cider vinegar
- Santa Fe Ole’s 3-Pepper Hot Sauce, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Remove the thick ribs from the greens.
- Gather the greens and roll them into a tight, “cigar”.
- Taking care, slice the greens very thinly into 1/8” ‘strands’. Set aside.
- In a very large skillet or sauté pan, place the bacon and onions and sauté over medium heat until the bacon is browned and the onions are translucent.
- Remove them to a large bowl and set aside.
- In as many batches as necessary to not crowd the pan, sauté the greens for a few minutes over high heat until the greens are bright green and slightly wilted.
- Salt to taste and remove the greens to the bowl with the bacon and onions.
- Add oil as necessary and sauté the remaining greens.
- When the greens are sautéed and have been set aside in the bowl, into the hot skillet carefully pour in about ¼ c. water. It will spatter.
- Turn the heat to med-low and scrape up the browned parts with a flat whisk or a fork and when the water is almost gone, add the vinegar, Red Chile Honey and ketchup.
- Whisk until combined and remove from heat.
- Add 3-Pepper Sauce and salt to taste.
- Toss with the greens and adjust seasonings.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
This is a great dish for entertaining because it is appealing, tasty and can be made ahead and reheated. It is wonderful for breakfast or a light supper with a poached egg or two on top.
Please stop by again. Thank you for your interest in our products!